Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Currently Reading: The Suffering of God

When I graduated from Moody, I asked Tyler if there was a book he could recommend that could help me continue to learn and grow. So on our shared graduation day (me from undergrad at Moody, him from graduate studies at Trinity!), he picked up a package from the post office and handed it to me. I found a precious treasure inside: a biblical theology book. 

Unexpectedly, Moody lit a flame in me for reading, and I actually came away from my studies there with a greater desire to read than when I started, which I know is not always the case for students. Perhaps I should say it in a different way instead - God used Moody to draw out a love for reading that I had never known before. 



I had not been a big reader throughout my childhood, though I had spurts of interest in specific series here and there (like Narnia and Anne of Green Gables!). Somehow though, I was changed by the books we read at Moody and the way we talked through them in classes. My perspective on the Word and on God's character was given new life and light in those three and a half years. I am forever grateful to our professors and my classmates who wrestled through tough questions together in classes. A lot of those questions remain, but there is greater trust in the God who receives those questions too. 

The book Tyler gave me is called The Suffering of God, by Terence E. Fretheim. It's absolutely beautiful and perspective changing.

Fretheim's book is not a quick and easy read. It's more like a long meal that has to be savored and taken in slowly. I have about 30 pages left in the book, and I have had to discipline myself to actually read it carefully enough to catch the depth of the book. I have so enjoyed it though, and hope to continue to ask more questions, and keep pressing in to this aspect of who our God is. If you happen to read the book, or are curious about it, please leave me a note, and I'd love to talk!

Thank you for the book Tyler!! This only touches the tip of the iceberg with Old Testament theology now, but I love seeing a window into your world of study and expertise. Just know that your sister will happily read any books you recommend for many years to come!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! Your comments make my day! If you want to ask me any question, or need to contact me, write me at: claire.patty@gmail.com