Monday, June 1, 2015

In the Quiet

I have thought much about artistry this past week. This is what happens when Claire's mind has time to wander and wonder.

I've had free days on my hands and my thoughts have flowed freely as my mornings have been filled with cups of tea, and my evenings with dinners the three of us have cooked together. As I listen to thoughtful music, read articles and news reports, watch documentaries or a Japanese movie (like this one) and ride Lara's bike on a sun spotted path, I can't help but contemplate.

We (speaking of humans here) search for meaning in so many different places. We try to express our longings and try to satisfy our deepest needs. Sometimes we see glimmers of hope in art, or when a meal is particularly delicious and shared with those we love most, or when we finish the last sentence of a book while sitting on a blanket in the grass. But those moments are fleeting, and so our search for meaning continues.


I get lost in the beauty and the brokenness and the bittersweetness. Words, photos, paintings and melodies capture a small window of the vastness of what it means to live, always causing me to ponder. Even my dreams at night are filled with curiosity and wonder, often leaving me questioning instead of answering.

And then I remember. I remember that the meaning actually was already found. It is a mystery that was revealed; it is one that we can understand by the Holy Spirit's work. Ephesians 3 talks about this mystery, reminding us that the truth of Christ is one that affects our entire identity.

"4When you read this, you can perceive my insight into the mystery of Christ, 5 which was not made known to the sons of men in other generations as it has now been revealed to his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit. 6 This mystery is that the Gentiles are fellow heirs, members of the same body, and partakers of the promise in Christ Jesus through the gospel." 
- Ephesians 3:4-6

It is the mystery of Christ - his death, burial, resurrection and ascension - which gives us a new purpose and new meaning. The salvation we receive through Him means that we are heirs, that we have purpose, that we are part of something that truly gives life. He is the answer to our questions. 

I'm starting to think that artistry will always point me back to the Lord.  Creativity is inspiring and baffling, and it makes us question everything we do. These questions go unanswered until I look to Scripture to be reminded of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. The mysteries of our lives are answered in the Lord, though we still only see in part for now. 

"For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known." - 1 Corinthians 13:12


(Chamomile iced tea!)

It's a good thing I'm not left to my own thoughts too often, because this pondering can be endless! Yet soon I will be in the exciting and exhausting world of camp, and I will hardly even have time to think.

There's a good balance between having these two kinds of seasons. The Lord knows we need them and teaches us very different things in the quiet and in the noise and excitement. I'll say it again - I'm thankful for both. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! Your comments make my day! If you want to ask me any question, or need to contact me, write me at: claire.patty@gmail.com