Monday, April 6, 2015

Maple Sapping

What are all those bags on trees for? 

Maple sapping!!!! Yessss. So exciting. Guys, maple syrup starts here. Amazing. 


I'm just kind of in awe of this entire process. Call me a Wisconsin newbie, but I got really excited when Kaitlyn's family told us we were going to go help their friends collect maple sap (if that's the way you phrase it). I didn't know anything about the process of making maple syrup before. 


The sap is clear, and doesn't even really taste like anything. The ratio of sap to maple syrup is 50 to 1. That means that 50 gallons of sap makes 1 gallon of maple syrup. The other thing is that sap really only flows when it's below freezing at night and above freezing during the day. It's an art and science, for sure!


We dumped the sap into a bigger holder, which was transported over to the area where they filter and boil down the sap. The boiling process can take days. This man who owns the property sits by the fire and stokes it practically all day to keep the syrup boiling. All he has is a little shack/hut/house/garage (not sure how to classify it?) where all the sap is magically transformed to maple syrup. 


I loved getting to see a window into a world that I was completely unfamiliar with. It was quite fun sapping and a lot simpler collecting it than I thought! Granted, the trees were already tapped and all we had to do was take the bags off and dump the sap into buckets - probably the simplest part of the job. The cooking and purifying process is a bit more complicated, but it seems like a quiet and restful lifestyle.

What fun getting to see into Wisconsin life! Maple syrup is awesome.  

1 comment:

  1. We look like pros. Especially in that last picture. Look out for the Maple Sappers. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Your comments make my day! If you want to ask me any question, or need to contact me, write me at: claire.patty@gmail.com