Monday, September 1, 2014

Yours Be Done

"Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven." - Matthew 5:3

This is the very first thing that Jesus says in the Sermon on the Mount. Not only that, but as far as we can tell from the Gospels, this was Jesus' first public teaching. This first statement must have been important.

"Regardless of whether it looks like I'm succeeding or not, am I being faithful to what God asked me to do? That brings about the humility that God blesses," are the words that Jim Samra spoke at Gull Lake, week 7, when I wasn't even a counselor there anymore. I received the recordings from his talks while I was in Czech and soaked up all of his teaching on pride and humility through my earphones. It was powerful and convicting.

Jim Samra continues by asking this question, and answering it in turn: "How do you embrace humility? Choose love over knowledge. Choose faithfulness over evaluation. The beatitudes don't say 'blessed are the intellectual and well-informed'. Blessed are the poor in spirit."

Humility is saying "not my will, but yours be done".

These are words I have been pondering as I finish out this series here in Chicago. I think I'll listen to these talks again because I need to be reminded. HE is the reason I'm at Moody. HE is the reason why I'm reading books and writing papers. HE's the reason why I can take a Sabbath and soak in time with family. It's HIM that provides, teaches, reminds, and loves more than we can imagine.


“True humility is not thinking less of yourself; it is thinking of yourself less.” - C.S. Lewis

1 comment:

  1. Awesome, Claire! I love hearing/reading your thoughts. Any chance those talks are available to the public? I'd love to listen to them if they are available.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Your comments make my day! If you want to ask me any question, or need to contact me, write me at: claire.patty@gmail.com