Thursday, April 24, 2014

Strengthened

I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God. 
- Ephesians 3:16-19

This morning when my alarm went off, I rolled over and wanted to shut my eyes real tight and go back to sleep. I felt exhausted as soon as I woke up. I just didn't have the strength and energy to start another full day yet. Yesterday was tiring with all its schoolwork and problem-solving. The thought of waking up again from my peaceful sleep was joyless. 

Before I even sat up, I cried out to God in desperation - "Give me strength Lord! I can't go through this day alone." It wasn't even a formulated prayer or a "spiritual" solution to my problem. I just couldn't think of anything else to do in that moment of feeling so sluggish. I'm sure we've all had those mornings (or maybe it's like that every morning for you?). 

I can't explain it, but as soon as I got down off my bed (my bed is lofted), I was completely awake. It didn't cross my mind that this was strange until I met a friend in the kitchen who asked me how my morning was going so far. It dawned on me. 

God heard my weak, small and tired plea.

I talked cheerily with my friend, smiling and enjoying cooking my breakfast, but just 15 minutes earlier I had been moaning and groaning inside about a new day. What changed? Prayer. Dependency on God. His infinite mercy.

It really is true that His mercies are new every single morning. Today I experienced that first-hand. Lamentations 3:22-23. 


Pray for the little things. Pray for the big things. Pray when you're thankful. Pray when you know you can't do things alone. Pray at all times. He hears. 

2 comments:

  1. Another great post Claire...but of course you are always so cheerful first thing in the morning!!!

    I am having a hard time believing that you only have 3 weeks left of school for the year! Praying that all of your term papers and final exams come easily and effortlessly!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Your comments make my day! If you want to ask me any question, or need to contact me, write me at: claire.patty@gmail.com