Tuesday, April 15, 2014

On Jewelry and Worth

I wrote this post last Summer, in 2013, and it just never got to my blog. So today, here is a memory I'm sharing... 

"See what great love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!" 
- 1 John 3:1

<><><><>

"I’ve never been a big “glitzy girl”. Yes, I do like shopping and clothes, and sparkly things occasionally, but I don’t need a ton of jewelry. A few favorite pieces are enough. In fact, I often forget to even put on earrings in the morning (though I'm getting better at it!), I hardly ever wear rings, and in general, I just don’t have much jewelry that I wear regularly. Not because I don't like it, I just mostly don't like buying my own jewelry, unless there's a memory attached to it. 

My dad knows me well. He’s worked hard to continue to get to know me through my teenage years, and I feel like he gets me. I’m 18, but he’s still the only man I go to for advice, for approval, for adventures and for support.

After being gone for two weeks, my dad came home this past Monday. He had been in Israel for a meeting, and in Italy speaking at a conference. I was just happy to have him home, but he had a bigger surprise for me.


He placed a small golden bag in my hands and told me with a big smile that he wanted to give me something very special. I opened the bag to find a simple red box. In that little red box was a pair of silver earrings, with the most beautiful opals dangling from the ends.

Dad started telling me the story. When he was in Israel, he stopped at a shop in Old City Jerusalem and bought these earrings from the man who made them. They are real silver, and true opals, handcrafted right there in Jerusalem, a place that is dear to my heart. He told me how much they were worth, and my jaw dropped a little. These delicate earrings are valuable. And my dad had stopped what he was doing to buy them for me.

No, I don’t deserve such beautiful jewelry. I didn’t have to ask for it. My dad didn’t even know, but opals are my birthstone, and I have never had anything in it. They are perfect. It’s not about the earrings though, how much they cost, or what they look like. It’s about who gave them to me and what they mean.

What do these earrings tell me about how my dad sees me?

They tell me that I am worth that much and more to him. The fact that he got me something that I didn’t just need, but something that is extra, something beautiful, tells me that he cares about me for who I am, not for what I do. They say, “I know you”. They mean that even when he’s traveling, I am still more important to him than his work. They tell me that he’s investing in me. I can’t express how much all these things mean to me, coming from my dad.

These earrings say one simple thing: “I love you”.

I love you Dad. Thank you.

And then I think - how much more does our Heavenly Father love His children?

“Which of you fathers, if your son asks for a fish, will give him a snake instead? Or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!” 
- Luke 11:11-13

My dad radiates the Father's love to me. I have learned from him a small part of who my Father in Heaven is and what He's like. But would you believe that God, the everlasting Father, is even so much more? He will give even greater gifts than my earthly father. He knows me even better than my dad. He's known me longer than my dad. He knit me together (Psalm 139)! His love is always abounding, steadfast and unfathomable."

"See what great love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!" 
- 1 John 3:1


And I know the Father's love because of Christ.

"Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit who gives life has set you free from the law of sin and death." ...

"For those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God. The Spirit you received does not make you slaves, so that you live in fear again; rather, the Spirit you received brought about your adoption to sonship. And by him we cry, “Abba, Father.” The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children."
- Romans 8:1-2, 14-16

1 comment:

  1. Oh my Claire, I can't believe I didn't comment on this post! What a beautifully expressed blog post about your dad's love for you. And I love most of all that your dad's love radiates the Father's love to you! That's what dad hopes for! And those really are the prettiest earrings on you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Your comments make my day! If you want to ask me any question, or need to contact me, write me at: claire.patty@gmail.com