Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Popsicle Sticks

Mom sent me this picture today, and I couldn't help but smile.


This is Becca. Our dear, beloved, silly, creative, wise "pokey-sticks" Becca. Mom got to have lunch with her today (not gonna lie... a little jealous!).

Growing up, Becca was the Josiah Venture Kid (aka JVK) coordinator. Pretty much, she made sure we were all taken care of when it came to culture adjustments, conference programs, kids camps, plain ol' fun, reading American children's books, and learning and growing in the Lord, while living in countries different than our "passport" ones. She had a huge impact on my life, as a JVK, and an MK.

I distinctly remember loving one thing about Becca: her artsy-ness. I always looked up to her funky and creative style of crafts and drawings. Little did I realize then that I would be using some of those same projects that we used to do together today, in Chicago!

In my PCM, I help out at an after-school program with elementary school kids. This semester, I get to take part in the "activities room", where we learn about God together, and then have craft time.

Last week, I dug into the recesses of my mind, thinking back to "FROB" (=Fun.Room.Of.Becca). It was the place during JV conferences where we could play, read books and, in my case, create things.

Yesterday, we brought back the popsicle sticks. Oh, the options of things to make! (In this case, my PCM leader thought of an awesome idea to challenge the kids to make bridges that could hold up under the pressure of something heavy... genius!) The younger kids got to make whatever they wanted. That works too!


Becca - if you read this, I'd love more ideas for crafts! You were always the best at them -- pipe cleaners, armor out of foil, clay creations, Dots structures, painted jars, lanyards, bracelets etc. etc. If anyone else has any ideas I could use in my PCM, I'd love to hear them!

I'm thankful for Becca, and all that I learned from her, not only in the arts and crafts department, but in all aspects of life! I wish I could be eating dinner with you too today, Becca!

Last note... they boys' team named their bridge. I think it's hilarious, and awesome. I present to you, the makings of "The Dark Hole of Doom?"

1 comment:

  1. Pretty much one of my favorite posts ever! (Do I always say that?? I mean it this time! SMILE!) It was ever so delightful being with her, as it has been for 13 years ever since we met her. You would've loved being with her...sorry you weren't here. And she says to call her sometime!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Your comments make my day! If you want to ask me any question, or need to contact me, write me at: claire.patty@gmail.com