Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Room to breathe

Not just room to breathe, but actually a room to breathe in.

I switched rooms this semester, and already, it has been so good. My window looks out to the plaza, and I can see the sun rise and set every day. I can see a straight-on view of the Sears Tower.

I'm still on the same floor (fourth) of my dorm. I don't have to climb lots of stairs, or wait long on the elevator to get to where I live. I love the girls on my floor, and so appreciate the community that is created here, as we do life together at Moody.

Since moving rooms, not only do I have more light (YIPPPEEE! My last room was dark), but I also had the chance to start fresh. I could decorate however I wanted, and I had a better idea of what would be important to me, and what was unnecessary. The room isn't big, but I can still make it feel good.

This is my desk. And these are the things that make my room feel like home:

: My lamp is sitting on top of a cardboard box from Amazon, and covered in a pretty apron that I had. (Shh... just don't tell anyone!) Can you tell I love flowers? *Happy Sigh*


: A picture frame filled with homegrown, and hand-picked lavender. Kristi made this precious gift for me, and gave it to me right before I left for college. 


: A vintage postcard from Czech. It has a letter from a long time ago on the back, and the view just so happens to be just up the road from my house in Czech.


: DIY bulletin board: cut out piece of cork board. Secure to wall with sticky tack. Done.


: A "Krtek" (Little Mole) card that my Czech friend sent me last semester. Reminds me of my childhood! And on the left is a painting by my talented cousin, Jonathan, from this Christmas. 


: Something to collect spare change in, and a bear from Mom, just because I love teddy bears.


: Pictures of nature. They brighten my day! Also, that's my Czech Bible, which I cherish all the more now that I'm far from home.


Any space can be made cozy. Add some Christmas lights, lamps, blankets and pillows, and you're already at a good point. Personal touches bring so much life to any space. If you are a college student, I hope this gives you hope - even a "boring" dorm room can feel beautiful, if you make it "you". 

1 comment:

  1. Lovely!! I can't believe how different your room looks! Love the lamp there, up on the Amazon box!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Your comments make my day! If you want to ask me any question, or need to contact me, write me at: claire.patty@gmail.com