Monday, February 24, 2014

Representing

Yesterday was the annual Culture Fair, hosted by the International Student Fellowship group on campus. 28 tables were setup in the Fellowship Hall of Moody, with beautiful spreads of ethnic foods and delicacies. Students from all over the world served up their favorite dishes - all homemade of course!

Pavel and I represented Czech, and were proud to have our Czech flag displayed. I made a classic Czech Babovka topped with fruit and a Czech flag on a toothpick. Thank you Miriam for the recipe!! It turned out wonderfully, and was such a fun taste of home for me. I think others liked it too!


300+ people came to the event to sample food, and enjoy different cultures. In all the busyness, I didn't even think to get any pictures! I can't believe I forgot... so hopefully someone else got a picture at some point of the babovka. If not, it'll just have to be a memory. And a fun memory it is. It made me happy to be able to share a bit of the Czech culture with people, and let them try one of my favorite treats.


Babovka is a sort of "pound cake", but made with potato starch as the flour and lots of eggs. It's naturally gluten-free (yessssssss). This is the recipe that dear Miriam gave me last year:

"You will need:
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup sugar (Czech cup is 250ml)
- 1 cup oil
- 1 cup of Solamyl (potato starch)
- 2 packets of vanilla pudding powder (which is cornstarch)
- 1/2 packet of baking powder, 1/2 a packet is 6 grams (maybe a little over 1.5 teaspoon?)
- a little bit of lemon zest (I just used a little bit of lemon)
- vanilla or vanilla sugar (vanilkový cukr :) )
- pinch of salt

It's a typical Czech recipe in the sense that you separate the eggs.

You first beat the egg yolks and sugar and oil. Then you add Solamyl, pudding powder, baking powder, lemon, vanilla, salt. The dough will be really stiff at the point but that's how it's supposed to be. You then beat the egg whites until stiff and add them to your dough slowly. And that's it :)

Bake in a greased and floured mold for about 45 minutes (at 180C)

And then enjoy your GF Czech bábovka."

I hope to make it again soon, so maybe next time I'll get pictures. :)

Here's a little bit of Czech culture for you too! This is my favorite Czech classical piece. It's inspired by our longest Czech river, Vltava. The music exquisite.



Thank you Nok for all the photos!

1 comment:

  1. I listened to the whole recording you posted! AHHHH!! A sound from home! Loved that you made the babovka...did you taste it? Did it taste the same as home?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Your comments make my day! If you want to ask me any question, or need to contact me, write me at: claire.patty@gmail.com