Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Just Hockey?

Today is a day where I can't decide how to feel. Many of my friends are celebrating America's victory in Olympic hockey... over Czech. The headlines on the NBC Olympics page says "Czech-mate". Oh yes, there are so many good puns for Czech. But part of me isn't sure whether I like that kind of pun!


Two things help on a day like today:

1. Seeing a Czech friend from church post this as his status on Facebook today: "Congratulations USA, you were much better today. Good luck, hope you get gold!" I am proud to see such humility concerning sports from a Czech. So that makes me feel like I can cheer for the States now. :)

2. Knowing that I can support both, without betraying either! I am both fully American, and fully Czech. My passport says I'm American, but I wasn't born here, and this is the first time I've lived in the States. I'm from Czech and America, if that's possible.

I'll celebrate both countries, and cultures, because that's who I am. 

1 comment:

  1. I love this post!! Even I feel that tug between the two countries, and don't know who to really root for! Glad you feel loyalty to both!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Your comments make my day! If you want to ask me any question, or need to contact me, write me at: claire.patty@gmail.com