Friday, January 3, 2014

To Red Rocks with Dad

A dad-daughter date? 


Just kidding! We have way too much fun on our dad-daughter dates! Especially if they involve nature, and a camera!


Dad was the one who taught me to love adventure. He taught me HOW to love adventure. 

I am honestly never one to do something spontaneously. If I go to an event or a gathering, it's always in my calendar, or at least in my head, beforehand. 

Spontaneity is not one of my strengths. 

My dad would never push me past what I could handle, and he knows my limits of what's fun and what's just exhausting. He gets giddy and excited about exploring, which is contagious. Adventures with him are safe, but also creative and happy. 

Though I knew these things, it still took me a minute to say yes when he asked me in the morning if I wanted to go to Red Rocks (which is only a 20 minute drive away) that day. My first thoughts were, "No, wait...that wasn't what I had planned. Nope, that won't work. That wouldn't be fun, because I'm not 'ready'. Not in my schedule...blah blah blah..." Silly me! Why does it take me so long? 

Dad gave me a few minutes to think (really, to recalibrate), and sure enough, I couldn't say no to his invitation. There was nothing but good in it if we went! I just needed to adjust my thinking for the day! I can say I'm always glad when I do go somewhere when Dad invites me to. 

Time with Dad always ends up being fun.

Valuable lesson?

Be open to changing plans. Don't get stuck in a box (we'll call it the "Claire box"; if you ever find me stuck in it...tell me!). Let the adventures come as they do, even without needing to plan them.

Dear Box-Claire,

Who knows? Maybe you'll actually end up having a better day than you had "planned" if you're willing to be flexible!

Love, Claire

4 comments:

  1. Haha! This is an awesome post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Tyler! It's one of my favorites of all your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found this post again...it is SOOOO good! How's that spontaneity thing comin' these days?!! Maybe you and dad need another date when you're home?!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Your comments make my day! If you want to ask me any question, or need to contact me, write me at: claire.patty@gmail.com