Thursday, January 9, 2014

Being a guest

People have been so incredibly generous in opening their homes to me since I moved to the States. Because I don't have a "home" here, friends and family have blessed me with their warm hospitality.

Thank you.


It's something I'm not completely used to - being hosted so much and not "hosting back". Growing up as a Missionary Kid, we often had people stay in our house, or come for dinners, which I absolutely loved. One of my favorite things was when my parents would tell me we were having guests for the weekend, or "so-and-so" was coming over for a meal. Guests made life interesting, and my world bigger. They brought stories to tell, and wisdom to share.

Since I've moved here, I don't have much of a place to offer (I have my dorm room...but, you know...). Hosting is not really a part of this stage of life.

In college, I also miss just relaxing in a home, cooking, reading on the couch, or watching a movie in a living room. Any time someone invites me over, I am thankful. I am thankful for a touch of homeyness, and for quiet.

I am learning to be a guest.


That may sound silly, but it does sometimes feel like that. It doesn't feel fair that I can't return some of what my hosts are giving me. It's a natural tendency (for humans in general) to want to repay for what's been given to me. But that's not how hospitality works.

That's not how gifts work.

I should have learned by now that hospitality is a generous, priceless, and free gift. It's just like God to teach me to receive without deserving. Isn't that what salvation - His gift - is really about anyway?

It's still hard for me to accept an open home, even though that's what our family offered in Czech too. It's different being on the receiving end. I'm pretty sure God wants to teach me something about the body of Christ. Each of us has a specific purpose, and mine right now is to be, and to learn. That is easier said than done, but if that's what the Lord has prepared for me, I know it is good.

1 comments:

Connie Patty said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I really love this blog post Claire. You described your thoughts and feelings so genuinely for this period of life. It won't always be like this, but it'll be good to remember what it was like when you were the one hosted, not hosting!