Wednesday, January 22, 2014

A taste of home

This weekend I started gathering ingredients: lentils, bouillon, canned tomatoes, and a couple other things to start off. After celebrating Caleb's birthday on Monday, I stopped by the Walmart by Moody, and came out with my shoulders scrunched up in reaction to the cold, but grasping a bag full of the remainder of ingredients I needed: carrots, potatoes, onions, garlic.

I waited. One day went by, and the next, without a free moment to finally make what I'd been thinking about for weeks since my mom gave me my very own Crockpot.

This photo may not look like much to you, but for me, it's a taste of home.


I finally made my Mom's lentil soup. While I was checking on it in the kitchen, a girl from my floor walked in. She's spent some time in Romania, and her first comment when she walked in was, "What are you making? It smells like Europe!"(Best compliment ever!). Lentil soup, yes, I guess it does smell European. Maybe that's why I love it so much.

As soon as I tasted it, the familiar feelings came back: the scalding of the tongue, because I eat it too soon, and yet the warm flavors of home. I tried to make it just like Mom, and it turned out just as I wanted it to.

What does this soup mean? It means no "Big Burger Thursday" for me in the cafeteria tomorrow! A crock-pot meal that reminds me of Mom's cooking awaits me.


Recipe:
2 cans chopped tomato
1 tsp better-than-bouillon (chicken or vegetable)
1 cup dried lentils
1/2 onion, finely chopped
2 carrots, chopped
2 sweet potatoes, cubed
1 garlic clove, chopped
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp dried parsley
Water - enough to cover everything
(leave about an inch of space at the top of the crock-pot)
Salt, Pepper, to taste

You have two options:
1. Put everything in the crockpot, and set on high.
2. Saute vegetables first for extra flavor, and add everything to the crockpot, set on high.

Pretty simple! Even a college student can make it in her dorm kitchen! 

1 comment:

  1. Awww, that made me happy for you, and a little teary for me! Wish we were in our kitchen at home, eating a bowl together!! Good job making it in your dorm! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Your comments make my day! If you want to ask me any question, or need to contact me, write me at: claire.patty@gmail.com