Monday, October 21, 2013

The USA

I have been in the United States of America for exactly 67 days. That's more than two months. That's the longest I've ever been in the States!

How am I handling it, you might ask?

Well, here are the things that I am loving about my passport country...

- Classes in my "mother tongue" - it definitely makes reading smoother, and writing go faster!
- It's easy to make "friends" with people - in the generalized meaning, friends = people to talk with, and greet happily when you see them.
- Gluten-free cupcakes - enough said.
- Trader Joe's - a place I go weekly.
- Not being afraid to talk on the phone (as much) - it's a lot less intimidating in English than in Czech, when talking to strangers!
- Being able to have a job.
- Free samples - these seem to be a normal thing... at least in Chicago! Ghiradelli's, Wholefoods, Plum Market, and Trader Joe's have samples every time you walk into the store.
- Exploring Chicago - there are so many places to go in the city - it's crazy!
- Coffee shops - again, lots of choices - from eclectic, to busy, to fancy, to cozy.
- Events - there are always opportunities to attend something fun (in the city).


On the flip side, there are things that I miss about Czech...

- Friends - of course!
- Speaking two languages in a day - I really miss speaking Czech regularly.
- Dark chocolate - it's just not the same here (thankfully, Mom brought me some from home! Thank you Mom!)
- Grocery stores - I love that you can buy ANYthing in Chicago stores, but it's also overwhelming every time I shop. How am I supposed to know what kind of toothbrush, apples, or sugar I want?? There are so many choices!! I usually walk out of a store with only one or two things, just because I can't decide what I actually need, versus what I think I want. 
- Quiet - everything seems quieter in Czech - even the restaurants and stores are quieter there.
- The mountains - there simply are none here in Illinois.
- Greeting people with "Dobry Den" ("Good day") - I honestly miss this! It's just not the same saying "hello"; it seems impolite sometimes!
- Birds singing - I realized not long ago that I hardly ever hear birds in the city. *sigh*

I'll enjoy what is here for this season of life. There will always be things I love about both places, and that's a good thing, I think.

3 comments:

  1. Oh I loved this post!! You totally captured the good of each place, describing both so well. And the pictures are great too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yes, to all of that! Enjoying what you have and remembering what you loved! I am glad you got some yummy chocolate, that makes everything better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad that you like it here! Kind of funny to think of you as an American but have never really lived here for any long periods. America is so diverse too, each city, state and region are so very different. It would seem strange to me to live in a city like Chicago and think of that as America.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Your comments make my day! If you want to ask me any question, or need to contact me, write me at: claire.patty@gmail.com