Monday, October 14, 2013

Grounded

Surrounded by buildings. People everywhere I go. Busy streets. Never silent. 

This is downtown Chicago.

Now, of course, there is also the good side: never a dull moment, always new places to discover, walking everywhere, meeting new people, delicious coffee, lots of exploring. Both of these aspects are true though - the good and the hard. This is city living.

It becomes tiring sometimes - the not-so-normal lifestyle of living on a college campus, in the middle of the city. My mom always says though: It's all about contrast. Your view on things changes so much when you can see things in perspective, and experience something completely different from "normal". 

This weekend was a good change of pace, and place. 


This weekend I was reminded of what it is to be grounded. Being with family, friends, at a home, cooking - doing what I love with the ones I love.


The Russells, family friends from church, graciously hosted us in their home in Wheaton. They were inviting, generous, and provided a "safe place" for the weekend. I can't thank them enough for that!

It was incredibly refreshing to sit in the living room and hear crickets outside, to go to sleep in the quiet, to wander down to a home-cooked breakfast, to take my time and just sit, without needing to do anything else. I loved grocery shopping with Mom and Haley, baking cookies, and making soup. Those little things that used to be normal at home are now so valuable to me.


It really is all about contrast. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! Your comments make my day! If you want to ask me any question, or need to contact me, write me at: claire.patty@gmail.com