Saturday, July 20, 2013

The sleeper train

What do you imagine in your head when you hear the words "sleeper train", or "night train"?

Here's what I first pictured when my dad told me about sleeper trains.

Maybe something really really nice...


Or even something cozy like this... 


Well, turns out that last one (above) is the Royal Train...yes, the one that the Royal Family uses. Ok, so maybe my view of normal sleeper trains is skewed.

At least the sleeper train could be like this, right? Clean, comfortable, spacious.


Our train from Krakow to Lviv didn't quite measure up to what the image in my head looked like. Goodbye fairy-tale sleeper train. Here was my first impression...


It ended up being totally fine. It cracked me up when I first saw it though!! I wish we had gotten a picture of the whole interior of our little compartment. We forgot to in the moment!

Turns out, we even took one of the "better" night trains. We had a compartment. All to ourselves. Yippee. I will say, however, that I would rather have our own compartment that was kind of quaint, but a bit *hmmm* disheveled, than to have to sleep with all the "bunk" beds in one open train car. The JV interns had to take one of those trains for the JV Amazing Race this year. Props to you guys!


The experience ended up being fun, though for sure different than I thought it would be. I love the rhythm of a train; the sounds and movements are like a lullaby to me. Once I adjusted my expectations, climbed into the top bunk, and settled in, I was happy.

That is, until the border guards banged on our door in the middle of the night to check our passports. Happy peaceful train moment gone. At least I knew I wasn't in any trouble.

Sigh. Maybe someday I'll get to take the Orient Express train and experience a luxurious night's sleep on a train. A girl can dream.

All images of the nice sleeper trains are from Google. 

1 comment:

  1. I love this blog post! Brings back all those memories so clearly. What a great trip that was...glad we did it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Your comments make my day! If you want to ask me any question, or need to contact me, write me at: claire.patty@gmail.com