Monday, May 13, 2013

The peanut butter question

Store-bought or homemade?

My mom knows I have a thing for peanut butter. Randomly throughout the week I'll get cravings for it! My favorite brand these days is an organic one from Albert. It has no added sugar, and actually tastes like plain, delicious peanuts.

I was at the store today and remembered we were out of my favorite snack. But then I saw the price for the little jar and decided I had to try something different. Yes, it's extra good, but was it worth that much? Not today. Time to try something new!

Homemade peanut butter is so easy to make. Plus, it's about a 1/3 of the price. It tastes a little different than my favorite brand, but I'm sure if I got used to it I would love it even more. Yay for peanut butter!

How-to:


Homemade peanut butter 

500 grams roasted, unsalted peanuts
1 tbsp oil (I used grapeseed)
Salt to taste
Sweetener to taste (I used 1tbsp honey), optional

Using a high-powered food processor, blend all ingredients together. Mix until the peanuts release their natural oils and turn into peanut butter loveliness, about 10-15 minutes. Add salt and sweetener, and blend for another minute until smooth. Store in a jar in the refrigerator.

What is your favorite nut butter? What would you add to this recipe for fun?

Here are some ideas:
- cinnamon
- vanilla
- chocolate (the peanut-butter is hot while blending, so if you added chocolate, it would melt beautifully into it...delicious!)
- almonds/pecans/cashews
- brown sugar
- toast peanuts in oven for a few minutes for extra flavor

Hope you like it!

1 comment:

  1. You're making me want some! And I'm not even all that fond of peanut butter! I'm glad you like it though!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Your comments make my day! If you want to ask me any question, or need to contact me, write me at: claire.patty@gmail.com