Friday, April 12, 2013

To Moravia!

I went on my last school trip today.


Every Spring we have a "výlet". Our teachers take us somewhere historical or interesting for a day. We usually ride on a bus for hours, and it reminds me of grade school. It's charming all the same. I've made some great memories on those trips!

This year, we visited an old village in the heart of Moravia. We learned more about Cyril and Methodius, Great Moravia and about old jewelry, houses and traditions. I personally don't have much "emotional connection" to that time in history, but our history teacher's excitement made it fun.

Our history teacher, who came with us on our trip, is retired (he's in his 70's), but loves history so much that he stays to teach at BMA even now. I have never met anyone who knows more about history than Mr. Skotnica! He can tell you any date, any name, any place that you would like to know about without any hesitation. He tells stories about it with a twinkle in his eye, and with such interest! 
Our history teacher, and a random goat wanting in on the excitement!
Though the day was not particularly exciting, my dear friend Magda and I made the best of it. We enjoyed the warmer climate of this region of the country, stopping whenever we saw flowers or animals (though that has nothing to do with warmth..hehe). The rolling hills also presented a change of scenery!


Magda brings so much fun and laughter to my everyday life. I'm glad I got to spend the day with her!


At first, I have to admit, I didn't want to go on this trip. It seemed like a long ways to travel just to see some little wooden houses and a quaint town or two. I'm glad I went though. I cherish every single classically "Czech experience" these days. In Chicago I won't be able to take a bus ride and see a gorgeous church, or thatched roofs and pigs and goats. I'm soaking in these days, both to see Czech places, and to spend time with my friends.


Good memories in the end. Cultural experiences are priceless!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! Your comments make my day! If you want to ask me any question, or need to contact me, write me at: claire.patty@gmail.com