Saturday, March 23, 2013

Easiest hard-boiled eggs

As a ten-year-old, I wanted to know how to make at least three substantial meals. My mom taught me to make french toast, tuna noodle, and egg salad. Looking back now, I think it's funny how accomplished I felt. But hey, you gotta start somewhere!

I'm sure most of you already know how to make hard-boiled eggs, but everyone has a different method. I figured I might as well share ours!

This is the easiest, most fail-proof way to hard-boil an egg.


Steps:

Place eggs in a medium to large pot, and cover with cold water (there should be at least and inch of water above them). Bring water with eggs to a boil. Turn off heat, but leave the pot on the warm stove. Do not move the pot at this point! Put lid on, and set the timer for 12-15 minutes. Once the timer goes off, remove pot from the stove, and rinse eggs in cold water. Peel, and enjoy!

Notes: This method will not work on a gas stove. Sorry!

Also, just as an interesting tidbit, we hardly ever find white eggs here in Czech grocery stores. All of our eggs are brown! When I was younger, it was always quite the hunt to find white eggs to dye for Easter. I wonder what the difference is... why don't they have brown eggs everywhere in the States and vice versa?

3 comments:

  1. "White shelled eggs are produced by hens with white feathers and ear lobes. Brown shelled eggs are produced by hens with red feathers and red ear lobes. There is no difference in taste or nutrition between white and brown eggs." The people at Crisco (who may know even more than the egg nutritionists) go further to say, "They simply come from two different breeds of chickens."

    Hope that answers your question as to the differences between the eggs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's how I boil mine too. Works every time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I just read that adding vinegar to the water makes the hard boiled eggs easier to peel. Any truth to that rumor? Have you tried that one yet? Are you making a batch of eggs to color for Easter this year?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Your comments make my day! If you want to ask me any question, or need to contact me, write me at: claire.patty@gmail.com