Thursday, February 14, 2013

Chocolate Mousse

When we were in the States last summer, I had the best mousse I've ever eaten.

While staying with some friends, a chef (R.) cooked our meals, and she was amazing. She was so creative with all of her food, precise and thoughtful. She was friendly, and told the best stories. When she made this mousse, I couldn't stop sighing with contentment, and telling her how amazing it was.

R. was kind enough to tell me her recipe. I can just hear her saying, nonchalantly, "oh it's easy, you just...". I immediately pulled out my phone and started typing out the recipe that she was telling me. Yes, it was "easy", but I knew I would forget it! I am so glad I kept that note on my phone this whole time, and it's sad that it took me so long to finally make it! (Honestly, I was afraid it wouldn't work because of the way I wrote the recipe- it was vague and definitely not detailed)

It worked! The mousse turned out beautiful. I'm not sure it would stand up to the chef R's mousse if we did a taste comparison, but it's good enough for me. Oh yes, it is decadent. Rich. Smooth. It contains no heavy cream. It's as chocolatey as anything could possibly get. Perfect.

And did I tell you, along with brownies, chocolate mousse is my favorite dessert? Just thought I'd mention that. Imagine how excited I am about this recipe.

Mom helped me take pictures of the whole process for you, to simplify everything. Because the recipe is not super clear, hopefully the pictures will help. The recipe is just my paraphrasing, not anything professional! I've looked on the internet for this same recipe, and couldn't find even one like it! I'm sure there's one out there, but I just haven't found it yet.

R., if you're ever reading this, I want to tell you "thank you" for teaching so much even in such a short time. You would be amazed at how many times I think about you as I'm cooking. You're an inspiration to me!

And for the rest of  you, here you go...enjoy! Happy Valentine's Day!

 
Chocolate Mousse
 
-8 oz dark chocolate (use a very good dark chocolate! The quality of the chocolate makes all the difference)
-4 oz butter (melt these two together on low temp in the microwave, stirring twice)
-4 egg yolks with a tbsp of sugar. Simmer about an inch of water on medium heat. Place a bowl on top, so that the water doesn't touch the bowl. Whisk egg yolks and sugar constantly in the bowl, until it becomes light yellow, and slightly thick. (careful not to over cook it- the mousse will be grainier if you do)
-Beat 5 egg whites with a tbsp of sugar until it becomes meringue. (Whip egg whites to soft peaks, then add sugar)
Fold chocolate mixture (should be lukewarm) into yolks until smooth. Gradually fold whites into mixture (do not to over mix or the meringue will "deflate", as I like to say). Transfer to small bowls, and refrigerate for 45 min - 2 hours. I don't know how long it lasts in the fridge exactly.
Top with berries, whipped cream, and eat with a small spoon.

Quick note:
In the pictures above, I halved this recipe. Since it's only Mom and me at home, we didn't need any more. In fact, we couldn't even eat our shares of the mousse, it was so rich! My guess is that the full recipe could feed 6-7 people, depending on your portion sizes. I wanted to caution you, that the ingredients in the pictures are only half of what's in the recipe!
(Before I put it in the fridge)


1 comment:

  1. SIGH...what can I say???? Perfection in a bowl!!!!!!

    Thank you for treating me on this Valentine's Day!

    I love you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Your comments make my day! If you want to ask me any question, or need to contact me, write me at: claire.patty@gmail.com