Saturday, December 1, 2012

Christmas Turtles

Today, to celebrate the first day of December, I would like to share my favorite Christmas cookie recipe! We also decorated today, so check back here soon for pictures of that. It's been a happy day.

This recipe was handed down to me from my Grandma. My Mom grew up with these cookies. Grandma only made them at Christmas, so they were always really special. They are actually really easy to make, so technically, there's no reason why these should only be served at Christmas, but that's just our tradition!

When I search for "chocolate turtles" online, I can only find caramel chocolate nut clusters, but nothing like my grandma's cookies. The thing that makes these chocolate cookies unique is that they are made in a waffle iron! They get slightly crispy on the outside, but stay soft on the inside. While they're still a little warm, I slather on some vanilla frosting, and it melts into the cookie and hardens on top. Oh, my goodness. They are delicious. 

Grandma's Turtles 

2 squares unsweetened chocolate
1 cube (1 cup) butter (or margarine). Melt these two together.

3/4 cup sugar (or a little less)
2 eggs beaten
1 cup gluten-free flour blend (like this one)
1 tsp guar gum
1 tsp pure vanilla

Melt chocolate and butter together, beat eggs and vanilla, mix sugar in, then add flour mix with guar gum. Chill at least 1 hour, or overnight. Drop by teaspoon onto hot waffle iron. Bake 1-1/2 minutes. Remove gently (I use a fork to lift them out without breaking apart) to a flat surface. I allow them to cool slightly and then frost them while still warm with powdered sugar frosting (butter, powdered sugar, vanilla extract, splash of milk).
When I made them a few weeks ago, I think I was able to make about 36 small cookies. Yummm!!

(All of the little notes are my grandma's! She's really mastered them.)


These are so good I think even Santa would approve (or maybe he looks more like a Father Christmas, don't you think?).

Please send me your favorite Christmas cookie recipes! I'd love to try them.

1 comment:

  1. These really are some of the best cookies ever! I'll bet you make them just as delicious as Grandma! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Your comments make my day! If you want to ask me any question, or need to contact me, write me at: claire.patty@gmail.com