Thursday, February 10, 2011

Claire Friendly Pudding


Most of you know (or you read my pages at the top of my blog) that I'm lactose-intolerant. A lot of the time, I don't mind it very much, but there are some things that I really do miss. 

Things like cheese, milky ice-cream, or yogurt aren't replaceable. Yes, I've tried soy yogurts and soy ice-cream, but I didn't like those at all. I've found many milk replacements that I really like (almond, lactose-free, rice...), so that's not a problem. I was never a fan of milk chocolate, and dark chocolate is still there for me to indulge in (if it doesn't have milk fat in it!! Always check!). 

There is one thing that I never thought I'd be able to have again (without some serious stomach pain): pudding.

There is something comforting about mixing up a good-ol' Jello mix of vanilla or chocolate pudding and eating it with some sliced up bananas. It used to be a favorite dessert of mine, even though we didn't make it that often since we imported Jello pudding from the States. 

Today, however, I found something that, in my opinion, is even better than Jello pudding. Plus, it's homemade. And (relatively) healthy. What more could you ask for? It's also chocolate, which in my book is always a bonus. 

I'm sure you're all anxious to know, what is in this recipe? How can you make pudding without cream, milk or...even tofu? Here's how:
                                

Ingredients (4 servings) - I only made half of this recipe, and it was enough for 3 of us! It's so rich, so you don't need a lot of it to satisfy!
  • 2 cups avocado (about 2 medium avocados)
  • 1 cup of cocoa powder
  • 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons maple syrup
  • 1 teaspoon of vanilla
  • banana slices for garnish
Optional: To make it a bit lighter (as in milk chocolate pudding), add about 2-3 tablespoons of milk (almond, coconut, or other kind), or to taste, and blend well. - I used some lactose-free milk I had on hand 

Method

  1. Add all the ingredients in a food processor or blender and whirl until it is creamy and fully blended. Scrape the sides to get all the cocoa powder in the pudding.
  2. Chill for 30 minutes and then eat! 
Don't be scared of using the avocado. You can't taste it at all. Seriously, this pudding is amazing. So tasty. So rich. So creamy. So satisfying. And best of all: no dairy

(This recipe is courtesy of comfybelly.com - here's the original recipe)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! Your comments make my day! If you want to ask me any question, or need to contact me, write me at: claire.patty@gmail.com